THE BENEFITS OF ORGANIC SOAP
People in most societies nowadays are taking a proactive approach in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. From eating healthy and organic produce to exerting time and effort to become fitter, many people are taking 10 steps forward to a healthier lifestyle. However, majority still overlook one major aspect that greatly impacts their overall wellness: choosing the right skincare products.
While buying manufactured beauty bars may seem harmless, it actually is. The problem is, consumers are left unaware of the harm they pose to their selves and to the environment whenever they buy and use these products. No beauty line in the world will ever release a campaign that cites the negative impacts of their products as their goal is geared towards making consumer believe that their ‘beauty bar’ is the best in the market. Affordable and effective, these beauty bars promise consumers the stars and the moon. The question is, can they live up to their claims?
The Real Deal Behind Mainstream Soap
Sad it may seem, but many consumers still don’t understand the weight of their daily choices. In many situations, one’s decision to buy a beauty bar highly relies on the packaging and the manufacturer’s claims. However, it is time that consumers become more aware of what they are introducing to their body.
Nowadays, beauty bars are not marketed as ‘beauty soaps’ because technically speaking, they are not ‘soaps’. They are detergents that are made up of harsh substances and lathering agents.
During the soap making process, also known as saponification, glycerin is produced. Glycerin is an ingredient that delivers a myriad of benefits to the skin. Unfortunately, this ingredient is so valuable that it is extracted from the soap and used in other cosmetic products such as lotions and moisturizers. As a substitute to this substance, ingredients and questionable chemicals are used as fillers, resulting to dry, chapped skin.
Since awareness still needs to be raised on what really happens during the soap-making process, consumers continue to make poor choices which eventually makes them become more vulnerable to contracting diseases later in life. According to studies, the chemicals found in most beauty bars can remain on the skin for 12 hours. This is more than enough to make a person ill.
The worst part is, as residues are drained down the water system, they also release toxins to the waterways, posing danger to aquatic species. Based on a report released in the UK, chemicals from beauty bars that leak out into the ocean include phthalates and parabens. These chemicals are strongly linked with diseases that affect both animals and humans.
It may be impossible to stop every consumer to buy beauty bars, but it is never too late to raise awareness in every household. By seeking alternatives, consumers can take a leap towards a better and a healthier future. Organic soaps, unlike moisturizing bars, are produced by reliable manufacturers who are advocates of a greater cause. Instead of using cheap chemicals that are harmful to the skin and to the planet, the people behind these products use ingredients that provide real benefits to consumers. Below are only some of the advantages of choosing organic soap over beauty bars:
- Organic Soaps are Healthier: Despite the popularity of beauty bars, many of them provide no benefit to the skin. Aside from that, average moisturizing bars also contain harmful chemicals such as Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and parabens. Paraben is a compound that is associated with the growth of cancer cells. Hence, once in contact with the skin, beauty bars can predispose the user to this life-threatening medical condition. Fortunately, organic soaps do not contain any of these chemicals. They are made up of organic ingredients that seek to benefit its consumers.
- Organic Soaps are Greener: The negative effects of using commercial beauty bars don’t stop there. When the lather goes down the drain, the aquatic habitat becomes at risk as waterways become polluted. In contrast, organic soaps are friendly not only to the skin, but to the marine ecosystem as well. They may be more expensive than average beauty bars, but they are more than worth it because they deliver real results, minus the environmental consequences.
- Organic Soaps are Animal Friendly: Most organic soaps were not tested on animals since the ingredients used are pesticide and chemical free, making animal testing unnecessary.
- Organic Soaps Have Healing Properties: Since organic soaps contain natural ingredients, they do not only work primarily to cleanse the skin. Most organic soaps have healing properties that can greatly contribute to the treatment of eczema, acne and other skin conditions.
- Organic Soaps Contain Glycerin: A precious ingredient saved for expensive personal care products, glycerin is extracted from beauty bars that are commercially sold. Organic soaps, on the other hand, are manufactured with its glycerin content intact, making them potent moisturizing agents.
- Organic Soaps Contain Antioxidants: Created with essential oils and other natural ingredients, organic soaps have anti-oxidizing properties that greatly contribute to one’s level of health and wellness.
- Organic Soaps Offer Consumers Variation: Consumers don’t have to stick to just one product since there are so many variants of organic soap available in the market. The only thing left for them to do is research on the benefits of the ingredients of the product they are buying so they can make the wisest buying decision.
Organic soaps may be more expensive than their commercialized counterparts, but the countless benefits they provide to both the consumers and to the planet make them more than worth every cent.